Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Kurfürst Discussion Boards</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

DO 335 vs Skyraider

All off topic posts head this way, please!

Moderators: hunter368, DerAdlerIstGelandet

DO 335 vs Skyraider

Postby Invisible shadow » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Suppose US built 335s sent em to Viet Nam, which would be better?

...................-The Messerschmitt P8 High Speed Reversible-Pitch Propeller was to be tested on model A-08
The propeller pitch could not only be feathered, but set to a negative angle to provide thrust reversing to brake in flight or on the taxiing run after landing. This reduced the landing rollout by 200m.(luchtoorlog.be, Monogram Close-Up #21)

Hyrdraulic boosted ailerons also
Invisible shadow
DB 605A-1

Re: DO 335 vs Skyraider

Postby DaveBender » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Skyraider was designed as a high endurance dive and torpedo bomber. Do335 was not. IMO the Me-410 would be a much better choice for CAS.
DaveBender
DB 605A-1

Postby Invisible shadow » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:12 pm

Yes but it certainly would've been adapted for torpedoes and or dive bombing had the US built it.

The best I was able to find was the following unsourced statement on this page http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/air ... Arrow.html

"The pilot was provided with a Revi C 12/13 reflector sight which, mounted on a Schwenkplatte (swivel-plate) SP 1, could be used both as a gun sight and as a dive-bombing sight"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_A-1_Skyraider

There are many low level missions mentioned here, couldn't find any dive bombing ones. & Only 1 torpedo mission

Skyraiders made the only aerial torpedo attack of the war, hitting the Hwacheon Dam, then controlled by North Korea.[11]
Invisible shadow
DB 605A-1

Postby HoHun » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:44 pm

Hi Invisible,

>There are many low level missions mentioned here, couldn't find any dive bombing ones.

Here's a link to the Standard Aircraft Characteristics sheets for the AD-4:

http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/AD-4_S ... r_1952.pdf

Note that dive bombing features prominently in the mission description.

(The site is a treasure trove for SAC sheets, by the way.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
HoHun
DB 605A-1

Postby Invisible shadow » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:01 pm

So this means it was designed for such, but didn't do much in actual practice ?
Invisible shadow
DB 605A-1

Postby HoHun » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:40 am

Hi Invisible,

>So this means it was designed for such, but didn't do much in actual practice ?

From what I've read, I'd say the Skyraider was probably replaced as a strike aircraft by the jets of the time.

In the support role, my impression is that attacks were usually made against targets that were difficult to recognize, so the classic dive bombing attack from great altitude with dropping all of the ordnance in one go was probably out. Additionally, the aircraft apparently were often armed with a wide variety of different weapons ("supermarket load-out", it was called in one account), which would have different trajectories and required different attack methods.

That often meant several runs if all the ammunition was to be expended against a single target, and as the Skyraider wasn't that good a climber while carrying loads, you'd probably not use the dive brakes on the way down, because that would mean a climb back up to attack altitude would take longer as the brakes would have killed some speed you'd otherwise could have used for zooming back up again.

However, I have no statistical information, that's just stuff I read somewhere ... maybe even online, but it's been too long to remember exactly. Googling did not help. If you know a search engine that can do boolean operations (like "Skyraider AND Supermarket"), I'd appreciate a recommendation.

Err ... here it is, Google found it. Apparently, "Supermarket Skyraider" gives different results from "Skyraider Supermarket". Bad idea if you ask me.

http://a-1combatjournal.com/journalset/jrnChap3.htm

Look for "Supermarket" on the page. Also interesting: The bit on "switchology".

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
HoHun
DB 605A-1

Return to Freie Jagd