Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Kurfürst Discussion Boards</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Survivorship Bias

The subjective side of the coin.

Moderators: hunter368, DerAdlerIstGelandet

Survivorship Bias

Postby HoHun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:26 am

Hi everyone,

When it comes to pilot opinions, "Survivorship Bias" is probably an important concept to be aware of ...

comic: https://xkcd.com/1827/

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
HoHun
DB 605A-1

Re: Survivorship Bias

Postby Invisible shadow » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Well, we never hear of P-51 pilots that died in combat what their views on their opponents, 109 FW 190 etc were.
Invisible shadow
DB 605A-1

Re: Survivorship Bias

Postby HoHun » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:13 am

Hi Invisible,

>Well, we never hear of P-51 pilots that died in combat what their views on their opponents, 109 FW 190 etc were.

An interesting quote (of which I unfortunately don't know the source) is a statement by a P-38 pilot who converted to Mustangs:

"On the P-38, I sometimes came home on one engine. On the P-51, I always came home on one engine!"

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
HoHun
DB 605A-1

Return to Pilot Opinions