Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Kurfürst Discussion Boards</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Benz Jaeger

All off topic posts head this way, please!

Moderators: hunter368, DerAdlerIstGelandet

Benz Jaeger

Postby Invisible shadow » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Invisible shadow
DB 605A-1

Re: Benz Jaeger

Postby HoHun » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi Invisible,

Hm, I believe the tail looks a bit small for an aircraft like that, and it looks as if the propellers will strike the ground very readily on take-off and landing.

Is it based on a WW2 drawing board aircraft, or modern fantasy?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
HoHun
DB 605A-1

Postby Invisible shadow » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:28 pm

Good question, I dunno. I think it would be an interesting V-16 centrally mounted engine kite with 1 prop in front, 1 where this one has it.
Invisible shadow
DB 605A-1

Postby HoHun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Invisible,

>Good question, I dunno. I think it would be an interesting V-16 centrally mounted engine kite with 1 prop in front, 1 where this one has it.

I think I would prefer a canard push-pull arrangement - something like a cross between a Rutan Defiant and a Kyushu J7W1 :-)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
HoHun
DB 605A-1

Postby Denniss » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

One should not drink and build models, front wheel mounted/retracting into the engine, efficiency of the props woukd be really bad due to turbulences from cockpit, etc
Denniss
DB 601E

Postby HoHun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi Denniss,

>One should not drink and build models

LOL! You're certainly right, but it doesn't only concern models :-D

There was a real-life attempt to create a fighter by assembling components as if working from a modellers parts-bin: P-40 wings, SBD tail, F4U gear ... and the USAAF ordered 2500 aircraft right off the drawing board. If the plane had been a success, the North American Mustang would probably be regarded with as much admiration today as, say, the Martin Baltimore. However, the Fisher XP-75 didn't even come close to being a success :-)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
HoHun
DB 605A-1

Postby Invisible shadow » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:18 pm

I had an idea the other day to have a V-6 behind the pilot seat & a small prop aft. One could run it the other way & have 16 cylinders & run the shaft between the pilots legs, but gearing, ( making both engines work in tandem is beyond my engineering base). The 1st way might bet better & a V-6 doesn't weight so much, might not hamper maneuvability too much.

As to front wheel mounted into engine, a good notice, I suppose it could be worked out, a reversed V-12 has more room to design an oil pan, it could have a U shaped oil pan that would drape round either side of the leg. Short of a mock up, I dunno if that could be worked out, easier with a reversed V-12 that with an upright one I would think.
Invisible shadow
DB 605A-1

Postby Denniss » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:23 pm

If one looks at the model I see a Fw 190D/Ta 152 front section with BMW 801 (or just the cooling fans?), a Ju 87/88 cockpit, a Bf 109 tail.
I'd need a lot of alcohol to match this stuff together because otherwise I wouldn't do such an ugly/awful model.
Denniss
DB 601E

Postby Invisible shadow » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:46 pm

It has V-12 exhaust stacks on the side no?

Um, make that 18 cylinders on my last post, not 16. & as an asides, if the one had the V-6 behind pilots seat, one could use it only when needed, fire it up when in a dive or while trying to outrun a bunch of fighters etc.
Invisible shadow
DB 605A-1

Postby HoHun » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi Denniss,

>I'd need a lot of alcohol to match this stuff together because otherwise I wouldn't do such an ugly/awful model.

I think it's likely that the builder is not an engineer :-) I'd also speculate that he wanted to create an ugly aircraft, but probably he hoped for ugly/awesome rather than ugly/awful ;-)

From an engineering point of view, the question really is, what are the advantages the unconventional layout delivers? If there were anything convincing, I'd be ready to overlook some engineering flaws, or serious disadvantages (such as the difficulty of abandoning the aircraft in flight without getting shredded to bits).

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
HoHun
DB 605A-1

Postby HoHun » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:22 am

Hi Invisible,

>I think I would prefer a canard push-pull arrangement - something like a cross between a Rutan Defiant and a Kyushu J7W1 :-)

Something like this:

Kyushu Twin.png
Kyushu Twin.png (138.53 KiB) Viewed 106 times

(It does fly sort of decent in X-Plane ... at least, not significantly worse than the basic Kyushu J7W1 which I built and which still has some unresolved issues.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
HoHun
DB 605A-1

Return to Freie Jagd