Welcome
Welcome to <strong>Kurfürst Discussion Boards</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

German Jet Engines and Supply of Raw Materials

All off topic posts head this way, please!

Moderators: hunter368, DerAdlerIstGelandet

Re: German Jet Engines and Supply of Raw Materials

Postby Invisible shadow » Fri May 19, 2017 2:57 am

Naturally he wouldn't have any opinion of any value regarding the slowing down of factories to retool for 209 & any such technical things. He was almost always right when he bumped heads with the higher ups, but for some odd reason, he was out of his league in this one instance. I see it clearly now.

Another thing is that in 43 the engines had a 10 hour shelf life, it's STILL feasible for operations, throw a bunch of em up like Galland said, & even with the shorter engine shelf life, in a big blow, it could have done major damage.

“I’ll never change an opinion I’ve expressed often, that with just 300 Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighters we could have on any day shot down a minimum of 200 bombers,” said Galland. “If this could have continued for even a fortnight, then the day bombing would have had to be halted.”

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stor ... t-fighter/

On Sept. 7, 1943, granted a rare audience with the Fuehrer, Messerschmitt expressed mixed feelings about the jet and repeated his longstanding request that top priority be accorded to the Me 209-II propeller-driven fighter.

Galland, a top ace, combat leader, and advocate for the Me 262, said in a 1994 interview that the jet “might have been in action one year earlier, had the highest priority been attached to it right from the start of engine and airframe development, which began before the war.”
Invisible shadow
DB 605A-1

Postby HoHun » Mon May 22, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Invisible,

>Another thing is that in 43 the engines had a 10 hour shelf life, it's STILL feasible for operations, throw a bunch of em up like Galland said, & even with the shorter engine shelf life, in a big blow, it could have done major damage.

I'm not sure what the average amount of engine operation hours were. As far as I can tell, the lowest figures actually cited are for the early series Jumo 004B with solid turbine blades, which were replaced with other blade types pretty quickly. However, development of the Jumo 004A was not completed to a point where it was suitable for series production even disregarding the resource situation, so I don't think that even had the resources been available, and assigned to the Jumo 004A, it would have been available just when Galland thought it was.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
HoHun
DB 605A-1

Postby Invisible shadow » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:39 pm

The RLM was waffling between committing to production of the the Me-262 and the "Me-209", an improved version of the piston-powered Messerschmitt Bf-109 fighter. The head of the RLM, Erhard Milch, was conservative and favored the Me-209 over the much more radical Me-262.

http://greyfalcon.us/restored/Messerschmitt%20Me.htm
Invisible shadow
DB 605A-1

Previous

Return to Freie Jagd